Sunday, January 12, 2020

Answered prayer (Oct 2011)

Mother of four,
teething baby,
little sleep.

Kids being kids,
the noise mounts,
my nerves unravel.
I ask with frustration,
“What should I do,
when you don’t listen?”

My five-year-old teaches,
“Pray that we will listen.”

Humbled, I pray, “Please,
Change my heart,
to peace and charity,
despite what happens.”

The next day
fills with as much
noise and busy mothering.
Yet, peace and calm surround me,
buffering the storm.
I see clearly what is
important and what to let slide.

Two days of grace.
The washer breaks,
flooding the house.
My husband injures his back.
Yet the blessing of peace
remains in force.

I don’t know how long I’ll
have this peace and calm.
Longer if I heed the promptings.

I’m ashamed to admit,
sometimes I ignore the buffer to think
and choose to be angry.

But I’m learning,
I’m changing,
Through the grace of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment